Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12599 Discussions

Interfacing an LCD to DE1 board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I am trying to connect a 16x2 LCD to the DE1 board. I have created a NIOS 2 system using SOPC builder and added a CPU, on-chip memory, PIO (for LEDs) and Character LCD. 

In the BSP settings (in Eclipse), I have ticked Small C library and unticked the Reduced Device Drivers and Support C++. 

Now if I try to build my program, it gives so many errors saying something similar to: 

c:/altera/12.1/nios2eds/bin/gnu/h-i686-mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/4.1.2/../../../../nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: address 0x1009250 of LCD_nios.elf section `.rwdata' is not within region `onchip_memory2_0' 

The size of on-chip memory is 16384 bytes with data width set to 32 bits. If I increase it to 32768 bytes then it does not compile in Quartus saying that it exceeds the available memory size. 

How do I resolve these problems? 

Also, can anyone give me an example of how I can use the built-in functions from the source files available in drivers -> src folder?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Solved the first problem by using an SDRAM. 

But again, I need help in using the LCD functions from the source files available in drivers -> src folder
0 Kudos