Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Ioctl problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm writing a device driver and I have problems with the ioctl function. When I run my user application associated with the driver in the terminal, "printks" that are inside my module functions appeared in a wrong order, I use "printk" to know where I am. Besides "printk" that are inside ioctl code of the module appeared without having make a call of ioctl. Maby the computer has reorganized the order of the instructions and ioctl always starts when I run a new application? 

I have used in my user code a file_pointer instead of a file_descriptor, althought I have used function fileno to have a file_descriptor because it is one of the paremeters of the function ioctl. 

I don't know how to solution these problems. 

Thanks 

Code_User_Application 

FILE *leds; . . . printf("Fitxer obert Usuari\n"); descriptor_leds=fileno(leds); fwrite(Dada,sizeof(char),1,leds); ioctl(descriptor_leds,LEDS_IOCSETD,&Dada_ioctl); printf("IOCTL_Usuari_Superat\n\n");Module_Code 

static int Leds_ioctl(struct inode *inode, struct file *file, unsigned int cmd, unsigned long arg){ static int data; printk("\nSuper_ioctl\n"); printk("Valor_cmd:%d\n",cmd); switch(cmd){ case LEDS_IOCSETD: if (copy_from_user(&data,(int *)arg, sizeof(int))) return -EFAULT; printk("Ioct_Valor: %d\n",data); return 0; default: printk("Ioctl_Cap_opcio\n"); return -ENOTTY; } }Thanks
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Do you have a doubt for the printing order of 'Super_ioctl....' and 'Fitxer obert Usuari...'? 

If so, please consider that the 'printf' messages are all buffered and wait the timing to send to your console. 

Kazu
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi: 

I suggest that add sleep(1) after printf("Fitxer obert Usuari\n"); 

I‘m sure module has higher priority than app。。 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for answers. 

But I was referring to "printks" that are in functions of my module no "printfs". I mean in my user code I make a call of function fwrite before calling function ioctl and in the terminal I saw "printks" of ioctl before printks of fwrite and all "printks" that I have written in the module have the same priority. And also why "printks" of ioctl can appear in terminal if I don't make a call of function "ioctl", I have chosen a unique magic number. 

Thanks in advice
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Would you please write the order of printk's message that you are expecting? 

Kazu
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Thanks for help. Well I think that the order of "printks" should be this: 

//Printk function fwrite Copy_from_user: 4 I'm here //Printk function Ioctl Super_ioctl Valor_cmd:1 Ioctl_Valor1: 5These are "printks" that I think that should appear in terminal with this order and only these "printks". I would like to understand where are mistakes. 

Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

--- Quote Start ---  

//Printk function fwrite Copy_from_user: 4 I'm here //Printk function Ioctl Super_ioctl Valor_cmd:1 Ioctl_Valor1: 5 

--- Quote End ---  

Where did you put 'printk' inside of 'fwrite'? The 'fwrite' is only a library function, not a kernel function. 

Kazu
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Maby I'm wrong but I'm not agree with you. It's true that 'fwrite' is a function of <stdio.h> library , but it is connected with my kernel function write.  

One of the parametres of fwrite is a file_pointer, this file_pointer has the same major as my driver, so when I call a fwrite in user space indirectly I call my function write in kernel. 

Things ara litle complex but more or less.This what I think, maby I'm wrong tell me please. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

AFAIK, you can't use fwrite() (or anything from stdio.h) in Kernel code. 

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

We are mixing things. I know that I can't use fwrite in kernel code Michael, I 'm using it in user application as I explained in my first post. But I used this function fwrite in user application to call my function write in the kernel code. 

The problem is the order of printks. 

Thanks for the pacience 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

--- Quote Start ---  

Maby I'm wrong but I'm not agree with you. It's true that 'fwrite' is a function of <stdio.h> library , but it is connected with my kernel function write.  

--- Quote End ---  

Maybe you wrote next codes somewhere in your kernel. 

printk("Copy_from_user:%d\n", **); printk("I'm here\n"); And where? That is the problem. 

Kazu
0 Kudos