Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Is Vectored Interrupt Controller-VIC , affect the Inter-niche functionality?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is Enabling Vectored Interrupt Controller (VIC) will affect the functioning of InterNiche TCP/IP Stack..? 

i have seen that if VIC controlled interrupt (IRQ 1) comes to NIOS-II, the system stop responding Ping Request.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is IRQ 1 related to network in any way? 

The IP stack uses the Altera TSE drivers, which in turn use the SGDMA drivers. The SGDMA are the only components related to the network that use IRQs. You can check the SGDMA drivers and see if they are using the correct API to register the interrupts. 

Please note that "stop responding to ping requests" doesn't mean that the problem is coming from the network or the TCP IP stack. It could also mean that the CPU or the operating system is completely crashed. You need to check what is going on with a debugger.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if i manually give Logic High to nios-ii (Interrupt to nios-ii) or give interrupt at a very slow rate, i found, It Respond to ping request before and after interrupt comes. 

please see the attached Print-Screen of gdf and Eclipse Console
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't think your problem is related to network. USe a debugger to see what the CPU is doing. Your ISR must somehow crash the system or at least keep it so busy that the TCP/IP stack can't work properly.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How do i Use a debugger to see what the CPU is doing,i haven't have previous experience of Nios Debugging..? 

i tried like, go to -->run as nios debugger--> and then a prospective comes----> and nothing visible or what specific task i do for seeing what CPU is doing..?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've never used the debugger in Eclipse, but I think after you clicked on the "run as nios debugger" there should be a "run" icon in the toolbar that you can use to run the application, and a "stop" icon to stop the CPU. You can also set breakpoints in the code, run it step by step or monitor the variables.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Guys,I am also facing problems when using the vectored interrupt controller in combination with the TSE MAC and Nichestack. I am not completely sure if the real reason is caused by the combination of Nichestack and TSE MAC in conjunction with the VIC but whenever I comment out my call to NETInit() then it seems that my system keeps alive (I have a heartbeat LED flashing every second and controlled by timertask and MessageQue). I want to notice that my system works ok when using the internal IIC but I need very fast interrupt response behaviour and also need to preempt some interrupts. Unfortunately there are also no real examples on usage of the VIC with all its possibilities (AN595_VIC_collateral did not help me) such as preemption etc. Any responses from very experienced VIC users are welcome! Regards

0 Kudos