Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

Is Yocto BSP for DE1-SoC available? Or can I get the GSRD to work on the DE1-SoC?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

Has anyone been able to find a Yocto metadata layer that can build a Linux SD card image that boots on the DE1-SoC? 

I've used the pre-built SD card images from Terasic's website, but now I'm doing some work on device drivers and I need to be able to build an SD card image from source. From the the startup messages shown when booting from Terasic's SD card images, I can see that they used Yocto to create the SD card image, but I can't seem to find where to download Yocto BSP layer they used. 

I've also tried using the Golden System Reference Design (GSRD) from rockeboards.org, but that seems to be compatible only with the official Altera Cyclone V Develoment Kit and Arrow's SOC-Kit, not with the DE1-SoC. I wasn't able to get the SD card image built from the GSRD to boot on the DE1-SoC. Does anyone happen to know what changes I have to make to the GSRD for it to be able to boot on the DE1-SoC? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I was about to do the same thing. I currently have a working setup for a SoCKit board. I was hoping just to grab the socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts (and possibly the files it includes as they have changed a bit too). The Yocto MACHINE should still be "cyclone5", the SOC_FAMILY should still be "socfpga". You have to patch the kernel source to add the .dts file(s) above and then patch the Makefile at arch/arm/boot/dts/Makefile to add this one to the list. Use KERNEL_DEVICETREE = "socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dtb" to then dump it out to the Yocto deploy folder. If that didn't work, I was going to look for a modified kernel configuration (modified from socfpga_defconfig). I'll post my results when I get a chance to try this out. Good luck. 

--George
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello All, 

I´m starting with this Development kit, De1-SoC, and my objective is to build up a Linux distribution with my packages already installed. I was trying to use Yocto to generate my SD image but I can´t find clearly two things. A Yocto BSP for De1-SoC board and how to build my packages properly with the toolchain. The first problem I want to resolver is Yocto image building, Did you finally found a meta- for this Development Kit? Thanks for the info! 

Best Regards, Ricardo 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I was about to do the same thing. I currently have a working setup for a SoCKit board. I was hoping just to grab the socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts (and possibly the files it includes as they have changed a bit too). The Yocto MACHINE should still be "cyclone5", the SOC_FAMILY should still be "socfpga". You have to patch the kernel source to add the .dts file(s) above and then patch the Makefile at arch/arm/boot/dts/Makefile to add this one to the list. Use KERNEL_DEVICETREE = "socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dtb" to then dump it out to the Yocto deploy folder. If that didn't work, I was going to look for a modified kernel configuration (modified from socfpga_defconfig). I'll post my results when I get a chance to try this out. Good luck. 

--George 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Same here. 

I've tried this instruction to build DE1-SoC linux image. https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/documentation/gsrd131yoctousermanual 

but just following up doesn't seem to work.  

I don't understand why DE1-SoC is not part of Altera Cyclone V Develoment Kit ??
0 Kudos