Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Is access to memory Atomic ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Is access to memory 32-bit atomic ? 

We plan to use shared memory between ARM and Nios on same FPGA (Arria V). 

Can we assume that the access to memory of read/write is atomic 32-bit ? 

Thank you, 

Ran
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your memory ic data width is 32 bit?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Depends on what you mean by atomic. If you mean whether a 32-bit access will become corrupted by the other CPU then answer is no if they perform aligned 32-bit accesses. But if you are looking to perform a mutually exclusive access where you lock down a memory location (mutex) the only HPS memory that supports this is the SDRAM controller and Nios II doesn't have to ability to generate AXI traffic to perform a mutex access. You could add this ability fairly easy but making a custom instruction that exposes an AXI master to perform the mutex access into the HPS SDRAM though. 

By the way, I don't recommend using your email address as your account name, if you want to change it to avoid getting spammed send me a private message with what you want me to change your user account name to.