Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

Is it ok to replace or update Quartus's Cygwin installation?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Precisely 2 Question: 

1. Is it Ok to replace delete Quartus's Cygwin installation and put a newly customized cygwin package in same default location? 

location such as 

C:\altera\13.1\quartus\bin\cygwin 

C:\altera\13.1\quartus\bin64\cygwin 

2. Is it Ok to use latest cygwin setup exe (from https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe) to update & install some other tools on Quartus's Cygwin installation? 

like targeting the installation locaton by: 

setup-x86.exe -R "C:\altera\13.1\quartus\bin\cygwin" -l E:\cygwin_pack_forInstall\ -v -P wget,chere,mintty,lynx 

"Is it OK" means... will it cause error / weird symptoms in Quartus/NiosII/Qsys during build or the built binary-outcome? 

Don't know has anybody had any study in such methods? :S 

My scenario is, me & my colleagues all installed Quartus 13.1(windows version) 

We might use NiosII shell to modify/enhance some workflow, this may need install/update some additional packages on cygwin 

But i don't want to open another cygwin shell / install another cygwin installation to accomplish such enhancement. :S 

And precisely one of the problem now is I found the default installed mintty working weird. (need press twice close button to close) 

But if I update mintty, the problem is gone!
0 Replies