Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12599 Discussions

Is it possible to create a NIOS BSP **without** Eclipse?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is it possible to **never** use eclipse when developing NIOS software? How can one create a BSP from an sopcinfo **without** this kludgy retrograde eclipse?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

not quite understand your objective, your objective is not to implement some application using nios? or are you looking for alternative development software to replace eclipse?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

not quite understand your objective, your objective is not to implement some application using nios? or are you looking for alternative development software to replace eclipse? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, I want to implement a nios application, but without using eclipse; as I understand, to generate the BSP, the only option is with that kludgy eclipse. 

I am running the whole altera environment in a virtual box (at home I have a mac, hence cannot use it directly), and the eclipse thing is reaaaaaly slow; I am not a fan of eclipse, even when running it in a windows pc, so I would be really glad if I could create the BSP and basic makefiles using only the nios command line. 

at work, I use a windows PC, and I use the eclipse only to generate the BSP; then everything else I do from the command line.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

so far i never heard any alternative of eclipse.. maybe any other forum gang around could comment for more tips related to this part..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are some command line tools that generate the BSP, and you can call them directly without using Eclipse. Unfortunately I'm only familiar with the old workflow using .ptf files (which have been deprecated with QSys) so I can't give you more pointers. But if you have a look for example at the Linux for Nios distribution and see how it is built. Last time I checked those tools looked complicated to use though.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi jordan. It is hard yhst you using a virtual os to develop. But I did this fir yocto kernel build . It work just okay... not much lag or something.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Eclipse prints everything it does to the screen. You should be able to read that and figure out what commands it is using.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Eclipse prints everything it does to the screen. You should be able to read that and figure out what commands it is using. 

--- Quote End ---  

I am frustrated that the bsp builder (both Nios and HPS) are GUIs. I asked them about a command-line tool, and they said it isn't available. I wish there was one though. 

EDIT: corrected dsp to bsp
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

dsp builder for HPS? I've not used dsp builder, but itsn't it for creating FPGA images? Also, what's wrong with GUI?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

dsp builder for HPS? I've not used dsp builder, but itsn't it for creating FPGA images? Also, what's wrong with GUI? 

--- Quote End ---  

I'm sorry-- BSP, not DSP. The problem is that if you want to automatically script a build process, needing to use the GUI creates a roadblock. I automatically generated the header files, DTB, DTS, and have them push to my dev kit automatically, but the BSP builder is in the way of that. I could set it to skip the BSP building process, I suppose.
0 Kudos
gareththomasnz

I don't like Eclipse either & code many languages.

I think Altium Designer is way better but too expensive.

0 Kudos