Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Issue while downloading elf - memory address out of range in .bss

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

Here is what i am trying to do -  

I have reference design which runs perfectly well on my Cyclone V GT board using quartus 13.0. Now, I have used the same design to be used by Quartus 14.1 version. Before using the design i have upgraded all the IPs being used and made the signals compatible accordingly. After generating the design - when i tried to build the design using Nios II there was error while downloading elf. 

Error states that - it is trying to access a memory which is beyond the on chip memory range of .bss.  

What can be done?:confused: 

Anmag.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you re-generate the BSP and recompile your application code after re-generating the design?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I did that.  

When moving a design from Quartus 13.0 to Quartus 14.1, does the onchip memory requirement also increase, although no changes are done in the design?? If yes, why does this happen?? 

I was able to overcome the issue by reducing my design, but its not something I wish to do. Is there some other way out??
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The GCC compiler upgrades from 4.1.2 (13.0) to 4.8.3 (14.1). Whenever the GCC compiler updates, software sizes changes, where in this case, it increases the size. You could try to tweak some BSP settings via the BSP editor. ie reduced driver, optimization, small c library, clean exit. 

Can you increase on-chip memory size? 

Another (not recommended) way that you can do is to keep the 13.0 elf and use it on the 14.1 hardware. Since your system has no changes and the base addresses are the same. Again, I need to stress that this is not recommended.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I haven't yet gone through with the BSP settings change, I will try with these options. 

Yes, I can increase the on chip memory size and in fact I tried with that option too. With increase memory size the nios2 is not giving any issue and everything is fine with that. But with this change I am not able to program the Cyclone V GT board using new sof. The programming stops after reaching 94%. 

Any idea why this is happening??
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there any error message given? 

Can you try with different USB cable? 

Maybe you can reduce JTAG speed in USB blaster II (I think). 

How many % of the memory utilization with the increased memory?
0 Kudos