Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

JIC does not work with Spansion Serial flash, NiosII flash programmer works

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm using a Statix III EP3SL50F780 with a Spansion 25FL128P0XMFI001 as 128MBit serial flash configuration device which contain my FPGA hardware image and my Nios II application.  

I can program my device with JTAG usign the Nios II Flash Programmer from the Eclipse environment and I can program the SOF and ELF succesfull into flash and my boards startups correctly after power-up! I'm happy with this! 

Of course I had to place the "nios2-flash-override.txt" into nios2eds\bin directly with the following content 

[epcs-012018]# spansion s25fl128p0xmfi001 

sector_size = 65536 

sector_count = 25 

Now I would like to make a JIC. I convert both SOF and ELF into HEX files and generate a JIC file with Convert Programming file tools and I disabled the EPCS ID check to make sure that my Spansion flash is accepted.  

When I program the JIC into my board the programming went OK but it fails when it tries to verify the flash.  

When I try to restart my board the FPGA is not configured at all! 

When I repeat this with this board but then with a EPCS64 (but then EPCS64 selected when generating the JIC file) I can program verify the JIC file and it starts correctly!  

Do you have any idea why programming of flash works with the NiosII Flash Programmer but not with a JIC? 

By the way: tested for 3 times, under 10.1 and 11.1 as well. 

Thanks for your reply!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I should have used the Spansion S25FL128SAGMFI010. 

I asked a sample for this one and will update te result on the forum.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you try with advanced parameter disable epcs id check in programming file conversion tool?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I did use the Disable EPCS ID check. Thanks. 

Yesterday I received Spansion S25FL128SAGMFI010 and I placed this type on my board. I programmed and verified the JIC and it works

The FPGA is configured and the NiosII starts up correctly! 

There is a big price difference in Altera EPCS devices and Spansion. 

Altera EPCS128 $25 

Spansion S25FL128SAGMFI010 less then $5
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey, You can not check disable EPCS ID check after version 12.0 :) Altera closes this feature for selling its products. This is unfair... :mad: