Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

JTAG UART Data Rate

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'd like to know which is the data rate of JTAG UART??? 

Regards
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

JTAG bit rate is 6 MHz with USB Blaster, effective JTAG UART data rate will depend on the transmitted block size due to the JTAG and VJTAG overhead.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What do you mean as "trasmitted block size"??? do you refer to data packet size??? if it is so...I think..I'm gonna use 8bit data packet.....

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The JTAG UART data rate depends on how you put data through it. On standard USB-Blaster it can get up to about 1Mbit/s if you send enough data to keep it busy. 

You have to have code on the target which services it quickly enough though especially on host->target transfer. If the target can't keep up then the host slows to a crawl because of the number of retransmits it has to do.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please use the general Nios II forum for questions like these. This is the C-to-Hardware accelerator section. Moving this and the other threads that don't belong here over.

0 Kudos