Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

JTAG UART debugger

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I would like to know if we can debug a design based on Nios II using ByteBlaster II Jtag cable. I am not able to debug my S/W in Nios IDE. Do I have to buy an other cable in order to debug my S/W. Or I can debug if I set sdtin/stdout/stderr to the serial port. 

Regards 

Christian
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The JTAG ByteBlaster seems to work for debugging.  

The problem was the UART cable to debug the S/W. It doesn't work to debug my S/W with the console or debug port. Maybe I have to include a new .sof design to use it? 

Christian
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Include the debug hardware into you're NIOS II (2nd page of the NIOS II core settings). 

To me it sounds like you are trying to use the RS232 uart for debug. If you have the jtag debugger in there then you don't need the RS232 uart to debug (I gathered this since you talked about the two comm ports on I'm guessing a NIOS development board). 

This should solve things (note I have never used a debugger in my life, I'm a firm believer in printfs hehe)
0 Kudos