Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

LAN91C111 on Daughtercard, NIOS II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have an evaluation version of NIOS II softcore and I'd like to interface the microprocessor with the LAN91C111 chip on Daughtercard (I have an old development board with an APEX FPGA...).Unfortunately my version support only the SOPCB Ethernet Adapter for LAN91C111 on development board. Is available a version that support the Ethernet Adapter for LAN91C111 on Daughtercad? 

Or, is it possible to interface the chip on Daughtercard using the Ethernet Adapter for LAN91C111 on development board? 

Thank U.
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Nios II does not support Apex.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi Kerry, 

thank u for the suggestion but we are not using the development board with the Apex FPGA, but we are trying to interface a board, shipping a Cyclone FPGA, with the daughter card (that was included in the Nios devolopment kit)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Soin, 

Do you have some more information (perhaps in pdf format) about the daughter card with the LAN91C111? 

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi niosIIuser, 

we have "nios_edk_user_guide.pdf" file that gives some more information about the daughtercard with the LAN91C111, you can download it from the NIOS I literature page http://www.altera.com/literature/lit-nio.jsp (http://www.altera.com/literature/lit-nio.jsp

bye
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Soin, 

Thank you for the link. The actual file name is “ug_niosedk.pdf”. It looks like you have the same problem as me (lan91c111 in 16-bit mode with lwip? (http://www.niosforum.com/forum/index.php?act=st&f=17&t=154)) because the LAN91C111 on your daughter card is also running in 16-bit mode. 

I hope someone can help us. 

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi niosIIuser, 

you are right...i think we have an analogue problem: in fact SOPCB Ethernet Adapter for LAN91C111 on development board uses a 32 bit data bus to interface tha LAN91C111 chip, while daughter card is running in 16-bit mode.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you look in the example designs area you will see a 16 bit lan example design. 

Does that help?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by kerri@Jul 21 2004, 06:45 PM 

if you look in the example designs area you will see a 16 bit lan example design. 

does that help? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello Kerri, 

Thank you for your reply. What do you mean with “example design area”? Please give us some more details. I searched the installation directory but I didn’t find a 16-bit example for the stand alone lwip. 

Thank you for your help, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, I was talking about the Nios I example design dir. It was for Apex anyways. But there is a 16 bit design for Apex and plugs. 

Since Nios II is 32 bit there wouldn't be a 16 bit design there.  

But might it help anyways? 

If you don't have access to the Nios I install, I can zip and send you what you need if you want.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Kerri, 

I took a look into the Nios 16-bit example design. The files are very different to the HAL libraries. Do you know what changes are needed in the HAL file? 

Best regards, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, I don't know. Maybe someone from Microtronix can tell us? 

Is this their product? or the one yhat comes with NiosII?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Kerri, 

Anyway thank you for your fast help. I believe that someone from Microtronix can help us. I was working with an APEX board with Linux some years ago. Now a Cyclone development board with the stand alone lwip from Microtronix is in my hands. 

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

thank everybody for support. Anyway i think that the bottleneck of our 2 problems is the only "Ethernet Adapter for LAN91C111 on development board", available on NIOS II SOPCB, that supports 32 bit data bus comunication. I think we need another Ethernet Adapter. 

bye
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Soin, 

We don’t need another Ethernet adapter we only need another LAN91C111 driver which support 16-bit communication with the device. Sure it is also possible to use another chip like the DM9000 from which is cheaper than the SMSC part. For both solutions we need a driver. Currently I have no time to write one. I hope someone can help us. 

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi niosIIuser, 

i think i mean the same thing you say: in fact tha Ethernet Adapter you select in SOPCB interface, involves drivers to interface Nios II microprocessor to LAN91C111 chip. 

bye
0 Kudos