Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Latest Eclipse version available

TheRealNeil
Novice

Hi all, 

This Link tells us how to install Eclipse for Quartus versions 19.1 and later.

The version of Eclipse that is linked is Mars.2 which was released in roughly 2015.

My question becomes, does Intel support more recent versions of Eclipse? Would be nice to update a 7 year old piece of software.

If Intel doesn't officially support more recent versions, has anyone been able to get them working on their own?

Thanks so much in advance!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
hareesh
Employee

Hi,

you can download latest version of eclipse from here.

https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/mars/2

Thanks,

0 Kudos
TheRealNeil
Novice

Hi, 

This is a link to the 2016 release of Mars.2 Eclipse. There have been a number of Eclipse releases since this one.

I take this to mean that the 2016 version is the latest supported by Intel (6+ years old)?

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

Hi,

The 2016 release is the only new version; I think the new release will be there. I'll confirm it later because I need to ask my engineering team.

If you don't have any queries, I'll close the case.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

Hi,

i think you got the answer. if you don't have any queries i'll close the case.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

Hi,

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
TheRealNeil
Novice

The only additional information that I'd be curious about is if/when an updated version of Eclipse is planned to be released.

Does Intel currently have any plans / something in the works to move to a more recent version of Eclipse?

0 Kudos
Zak
New Contributor I

Hello,

I'm also interested in this topic since Eclipse Mars 2 is very old, has plenty of bugs and lacks of lots of modern IDE functionalities.

For example it's not possible to set a decent dark theme...in 2022...that's ridiculous. Who's still coding with a white background???
The only way is to manually edit each component color...

If I try to install any third party plugin I get errors, crash and worse, like that Eclipse can't be start anymore.

This situation has not improved in the last 5 years. How can Intel advertise it's SBT if the only IDE which support the integration of this toolchain is absolutely garbage?

Do anyone knows if Intel has any plans into supporting more recent versions of Eclipse?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Jacob11
New Contributor II

Also wanting to know. I use Nios extensively at work and this old version of Eclipse is just not good. Super buggy, ugly, and clunky. I have switched to a command line workflow, which has eliminated a lot of the issues. The problem is Eclipse.

I just use the Eclipse GUI to generate my BSP and application, then do the actual coding/compiling and running the software from VS code using the internal terminal. It is WAY better than using the Nios 2 Eclipse mars 2. I would like to have a nice, modern, built in IDE that supports the Nios toolchain, so please Intel fix this.

0 Kudos