Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Launch Problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I need to run Quartus II v9 for a class I'm taking so I downloaded it, installed csh, ran the install script. But, when I tried to run it, I got this 

$ pwd /opt/altera9.1sp2/quartus/bin $ ls altgx_diffmifgen jtagd qcmd quartus_cmd quartus_g2b quartus_pow quartus_smew tb2_install altgx_mifgen mif2hex qmegawiz quartus_cpf quartus_jbcc quartus_rpp quartus_sta tclsh clearbox mwcleanup quartus quartus_drc quartus_jli quartus_sh quartus_staw dmf_ver mwcontrol quartus_asm quartus_eda quartus_map quartus_si quartus_stp jtagconfig pll_cmd quartus_cdb quartus_fit quartus_pgm quartus_sim quartus_tan $ ./quartus quartus: /opt/altera9.1sp2/quartus/linux/libuuid.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSM.so.6) quartus: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXrender.so.1: undefined symbol: _XGetRequest 

I am using Xubunutu 16.04 (Ubuntu 16.04 with XFCE desktop) 

I don't understand that error nor have any idea how to fix, any help would be great.  

Thanks in advance. 

Rodrigo Martín del Campo Alcocer
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The official supported Linux versions for Quartus II v9 are SUSE 9 or 10, Redhat 4 or 5 and CentOS 4 or 5. The problem with binary installs under Linux is that if there is a too strong difference between the OS libraries and what the application expects you will get that sort of errors. The error message you get could come from a conflict between some X11 libraries from ubuntu and some that Altera brought with Quartus but I'm not sure. Also note that Quartus 9 for Linux is 32-bit only so if you have a 64-bit OS installed you need the 32-bit X11 compatibility libraries correctly installed. 

I remember back in the day we installed Quartus II 9 on Ubuntu 10 and it was still a pain, especially with the JTAG drivers IIRC. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble with either installing a supported version of Linux (could be in a virtual machine) or try a more modern version of Quartus (I'm not sure Ubuntu is supported even in the newer versions of Quartus, but some people probably managed to do it anyway).