Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Linker problem in Eclipse?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to bring up a custom board which has ethernet and SD-Card functionality as essential components of the system. I am using a 256K x 16 SRAM chip and a 16M x 16 Flash RAM. 

At this stage of the testing I do not yet have the Flash RAM in the Qsys design in order to keep the system simple at first, then build on it as I verify individual components.  

After generating and compiling this design I can successfully run the Memory Test example in Eclipse. However, when I try to build the Simple Socket Server example I get the following error messages: 

address 0x10d7778 of eas4x_sss_2.elf section `.bss' is not within region `ext_sram' 

address 0x10d7778 of eas4x_sss_2.elf section `.ext_sram' is not within region `ext_sram' 

address 0x10d778c of eas4x_sss_2.elf section `.bss' is not within region `ext_sram' 

address 0x10d778c of eas4x_sss_2.elf section `.ext_sram' is not within region `ext_sram' 

First of all I am confused at why `.ext_sram' is not within region `ext_sram'. How can this be? 

Second, why is the linker trying to put this stuff outside of my SRAM range of 0x01000000 - 0x0107FFFF? 

I also seem to be getting some strange information in the linker script tab of the BSP editor. 

Please see the attached screen shot of my Qsys system as it stands along with a screen shot of the linker script.
0 Kudos
0 Replies