Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

Linker - scripting section mappings

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to automatize the generation of my application in a gui-less environment as follows: 

All is good until I get to the linker assignments: I did not find any possibility to specify where .bss .text .rodata .rwdata .heap would be placed. 

The only solution that was working for a while was passing the "default_sections_mapping" parameter to the nios2-bsp command in create-this-bsp.sh 

NIOS2_BSP_ARGS="--default_sections_mapping onchip_ram" 

I am in a situation where this solution is no longer sufficient: I must use 2 smaller on-chip RAMs (onchip_ram_1 and onchip_ram_2) and assign specific sections of the application to each of these RAMs.  

So far I was not able to find a solution. 

I would appreciate any help!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just directly run the compiler and linker completely outside the altera environment. 

Then you can just write a linker script than contains exactly what you need (and nothing else).