Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

[Linux/MMU] net-snmp AgentX activation problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I need SNMP with masterX support for my project, but I cannot turn AgentX master support on. I have added 'master agentX' in snmpd.conf, but I get a 'Warning: Unknown token: master' when I'm starting snmpd: 

--- Quote Start ---  

root:/> cat /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf  

rwcommunity public 

master agentX 

agentXsocket /var/agentx/master 

agentXPerms 777 

root:/> snmpd -Le -Dagentx 

agentx/subagent: init_subagent sess 0000a3e8 

agentx_register_app_config_handler: registering .conf token for "agentxsocket" 

agentx_register_app_config_handler: registering .conf token for "agentxperms" 

agentx_register_app_config_handler: registering .conf token for "agentxRetries" 

agentx_register_app_config_handler: registering .conf token for "agentxTimeout" 

/etc/snmp/snmpd.conf: line 2: Warning: Unknown token: master. 

agentx/config: port spec: /var/agentx/master 

agentx/config: port permissions: 777 

agentx/config: socket permissions: 777 (511) 

NET-SNMP version 5.2.1 

--- Quote End ---  

I can also see that snmpd doesn't create the '/var/agentx/master' socket. 

Because all build/include/.../agent/ generate '.h' files define USING_AGENTX_... to 1, agentx support should be activated, but obviously not. 

Any idea? 

Thanks in advance, 

Fred
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi fred....... 

i have the same problem ...... do you have any progress on it???? 

regards 

Franz Wagner
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. 

For an unknown reason, the last line of 'user/net-snmp/net-snmp-5.2.1/include/net-snmp/agent/net-snmp-agent-includes.h' was commented, disabling the include of 'net-snmp/agent/agent_module_config.h'. 

As a consequence, 'USING_AGENTX_xxx' were not defined, and the code managing the 'master' feature not compiled. 

I have also modify 'Makefile.top' to add '-fno-tree-loop-opt' 

diff --git a/user/net-snmp/net-snmp-5.2.1/Makefile.top b/user/net-snmp/net-snmp- index 298ec0c..3227c95 100644 --- a/user/net-snmp/net-snmp-5.2.1/Makefile.top +++ b/user/net-snmp/net-snmp-5.2.1/Makefile.top @@ -81,7 +81,7 @@ RANLIB = : # libtool definitions .SUFFIXES: .c .o .lo .rc .c.lo: - $(LIBTOOL) --mode=compile $(CC) $(CPPFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) -c -o $@ $< + $(LIBTOOL) --mode=compile $(CC) $(CPPFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) -fno-tree-loop-opt .rc.lo: $(LIBTOOL) --mode=compile windres -o $@ $< At last, I'm using NON_SMP_BUILD=1 make to generate my kernel with parallele make disabled. 

Tschüs ! 

Fred
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi fred .........thanks to your tip........ 

i change the makefile in /user/net-snmp/ and add 

--with-mib-modules=agentx and it works :) 

thank you ...... 

Franz Wagner
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi franz, 

That is very strange: if you're using 'net-snmp-5.2.1', agentx is included by default. 

The should be true if CONFIG_USER_NETSNMP_SNMPD_MINI is *NOT* set, i.e. 'Build mini agent' is unselected in menuconfig... 

Fred
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Fred !!!!  

yes i use net-snmp 5.2.1 ....... but i select mini agent.......... 

why i should be true if CONFIG_USER_NETSNMP_SNMPD_MINI is *NOT* set??? 

how i use agentx???? which basics commands???? do you know???? 

thank you.... 

Franz Wagner
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hum, I re-read my answer and can see a typo error : I wanted to write 'This (and not 'The') should be true if CONFIG_...'. 

In other words, you *must* unselect 'Build mini agent' if you want the AgentX functionality - in my configuration, 'net-snmp' is the only option selected) -, and you have *not* to modify the top Makefile. 

For the other questions (how i use agentx???? which basics commands???? ), I'm following the Net-Snmp tutorials and discover this new (for me) world... 

Good luck, 

Fred
0 Kudos