Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Linux boot hangs just before login prompt

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm trying to boot from QSPI on a custom board based on Arria V SoC FPGA. In order to build a minimal image root file system, I followed the guideline in the following URL: 

http://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/documentation/gsrd131gettingstartedyocto 

However, Linux boot hangs after the following message (just before login prompt should show up): 

Freeing unused kernel memory: 328K (8066a000 - 806bc000) 

INIT: version 2.88 booting 

Starting Bootlog daemon: bootlogd. 

Fri Nov 20 04:46:00 UTC 2015 

Running postinst /etc/rpm-postinsts/100... 

/usr/sbin/update-modules: line 197: /etc/init.d/modutils.sh: No such file or directory 

INIT: Entering runlevel: 5 

Starting syslogd/klogd: done 

Stopping Bootlog daemon: bootlogd. 

Does anybody know any workaround for such kind of problem? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what about the rest of the files such as preloader, uboot and device tree? which version that you using?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

what about the rest of the files such as preloader, uboot and device tree? which version that you using? 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for the reply pororo. 

Hand off files are generated using Quartus II v15.0.2 and Qsys v15.0 (build 153). 

Preloader, uboot and device tree are generated using SoC EDS 15.0 command shell (BSP Editor is v15.0 build 145). 

The hand off files for preloader and uboot generation are based on a modified GHRD (to fit the requirements for the custom board). 

The device tree is generated from an edited GHRD dts file (v14.1), with most of the peripherals disabled except for uart, qspi, sdmmc and ethernet. QSPI partition is also edited to accommodate the instructed changes from the rocketboards site. 

Additional Info: 

I noticed during first boot after the root file system is written to QSPI, the following message also appeared (this message does not appear anymore upon reboot): 

Running postinst /etc/rpm-postinsts/100... 

/usr/sbin/update-modules: line 197: /etc/init.d/modutils.sh: No such file or directory 

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just noticed you are using mixing of 15.0 and 13.1 procedures. 

I would say probably you can use all in the same version for 15.0, especially for the Linux builds related using the selector below. 

http://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/main/gettingstarted
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

maybe you could try to chenge the access-rights for the rootfs?!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

so after you using all the same version how is it? working?

0 Kudos