Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Linux driver for Low Latency Ethernet 10G MAC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone! 

I want to know about linux driver for "Low Latency Ethernet 10G MAC". 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_32b_10g_ethernet_mac.pdf 

Is there any linux driver for Low Latency Ethernet 10G MAC? 

I could be able find the TSE linux driver (Altera Triple-Speed Ethernet MAC driver) in kernel.org v3.15 source. 

I would like to know whether this driver can use for Low Latency Ethernet 10G MAC? 

I would really appreciate, If you let me know any information related to the linux driver of "Low Latency Ethernet 10G MAC". 

Thanks,
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not aware of a driver that exists already. You can take the TSE driver and adapt it though (it won't work out-of-the-box).  

The main things you'd need to adjust are: 

- the MAC control/status register map 

- comment out MDIO stuff 

- other things depending on what options you enable for the LL MAC
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you guys ever find a driver (or modify the TSE one to work)? I am looking for the same thing for my Arria10 Linux build. The 10G MAC (not the low latency one) is used in AN739 (IEEE-1588) reference design - but there is no source with it...only binary SD card image. The LL MAC can be built with legacy 10G MAC capability which should make the changes to the LL one minimal. If it exists for AN739 - it must be written already (albeit maybe with bugs so says my one Altera support person). But I have had no success getting it yet (or the Device Tree Source for it).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Although im testing one of the designs to run 10G Mac and not yet finished with it, my intuition is that the 10G driver is under the intel folder to be precise, https://github.com/altera-opensource/linux-socfpga/tree/master/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igb

0 Kudos