Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12599 Discussions

Linux driver for PCIe DE2i-150

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello guys, 

who can help I am in search of PCIe driver for Linux for DE2i-150 board. 

thank you for your attention
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The driver is on the System CD that comes with the board, or can be downloaded from Terasic's web site. The document DE2i-150_Yocto.pdf on the CD describes getting linux running. PCIe is described in chapter 2.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The driver is on the System CD that comes with the board, or can be downloaded from Terasic's web site. The document DE2i-150_Yocto.pdf on the CD describes getting linux running. PCIe is described in chapter 2. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello, 

the driver lying on the board and CD for the operating system Yoct. In my case I installed ubuntu and the driver on serving would have to compile the drive back to my operating system to work, it is the driver supplies I need. 

Thank you for your attention.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you don't use the supplied software, you are on your own on getting drivers. Quite often it isn't worth the trouble of using something other than what came with your board even if it is a bit outdated. My advise it to stick with the Yocto distribution that came with the board. Forget about using Ubuntu unless you have considerable Linux knowledge. 

You should probably consult a Linux kernel expert (which I am not) for this. Sorry I couldn't be of help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If you don't use the supplied software, you are on your own on getting drivers. Quite often it isn't worth the trouble of using something other than what came with your board even if it is a bit outdated. My advise it to stick with the Yocto distribution that came with the board. Forget about using Ubuntu unless you have considerable Linux knowledge. 

You should probably consult a Linux kernel expert (which I am not) for this. Sorry I couldn't be of help. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello, 

a colleague of mine ever encountered these sources since, but we're not lying to you more. In addition, it should be better known because of the software license that is GPL, and requires sources become available.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't own the DE2i, so I couldn't check. I do have an old possibly outdated copy of the CD. All I found were sources for an interface to a shared library whos sources are not on the CD. There is also a kernel module whos source is not provided. 

You will have to contact Terasic to see if the source is available. It may not be. Note that companies write proprietary code for Linux all the time. Just because something is for Linux (even a kernel module) doesn't obligate a company to provide source for it. If changes are made to a Linux kernel source file, patches must be provided. A separate kernel module such as this can be either proprietary or open source as the creator wishes. 

Edit: If you can't do what you to do with the binaries provided, many companies can be hired to write drivers to your specifications (not cheap). If you wish to write drivers yourself, you can probably download the datasheet, etc for the CPU from Intel. Information on the FPGA end is of course available from Altera.
0 Kudos