Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Linux fails to communicate

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When running on stratix_2s60_es niosII dev board with Quartus 5 and the new kernel, everything builds and loads OK but when I attempt a login from the nios2-terminal I only see: 

Linux version 2.6.11-uc0 (lga_mgre@APLW2503) (gcc version 3.4.1 ( 

The init text stops as shown above and I never receive a login prompt. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you uploading one of the time-limited linux "sof" files? If you are then there might be a dialog box that you're accidently dismissing when you shouldn't be. 

When you upload a time-limited "sof" file through Quartus Programmer, a dialog box appears that says: 

"Click Cancel to stop using OpenCore Plus IP" 

When you click cancel, it'll stop the core that's running on your board. By the time you start nios2-terminal, there may have been data stored up in the jtag uart buffer (which is what you're seeing) but nothing else comes out because the core stopped running as soon as the cancel button was clicked. 

That may explain the results you're currently getting.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Ken 

That was the problem!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Glad I could help. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

0 Kudos