Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Linux kernel build fails

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I try to follow the Quickstart guide, the project build fails with the following output: 

LD drivers/char/built-in.o 

CC drivers/ide/ide.o 

/cygdrive/c/altera/kits/nios2/bin/eclipse/plugins/com.microtronix.nios2linux.kernel_0.1.4/linux-2.6.x/drivers/ide/ide.c: In function `init_hwif_data': 

/cygdrive/c/altera/kits/nios2/bin/eclipse/plugins/com.microtronix.nios2linux.kernel_0.1.4/linux-2.6.x/drivers/ide/ide.c:218: error: `na_ide_ide' undeclared (first use in this function) 

/cygdrive/c/altera/kits/nios2/bin/eclipse/plugins/com.microtronix.nios2linux.kernel_0.1.4/linux-2.6.x/drivers/ide/ide.c:218: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once 

/cygdrive/c/altera/kits/nios2/bin/eclipse/plugins/com.microtronix.nios2linux.kernel_0.1.4/linux-2.6.x/drivers/ide/ide.c:218: error: for each function it appears in.) 

make[3]: *** [drivers/ide/ide.o] Error 1 

make[2]: *** [drivers/ide] Error 2 

make[1]: *** [drivers] Error 2 

make: *** [all] Error 2 

make: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/altera/kits/nios2/bin/eclipse/plugins/com.microtronix.nios2linux.kernel_0.1.4/linux-2.6.x' 

Any ideas ??? 

Karl.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Karl: 

By default, support for the CF interface on the Altera Dev Boards is enabled in the kernel. Your compile failed because it could not find the appropriate definitiions (na_ide_ide) for this interface. 

Did you use the .ptf file we supplied with the distribution or have you created your own Quartus Project? If you did use the .ptf file we supplied (found under nios2/examples/verilog/<board>/linux/), can you check whether the na_ide_ide symbol was created in nios2_system.h (found in your workspace for the kernel, probably nios2/bin/eclipse/workspace/<whatever_you_called_it>/build/include) 

If you created your own Quartus Project and you wish to use the CF interface, you&#39;ll need the Compact Flash Component. If you don&#39;t care or don&#39;t want to wait for the CF Component, you can simply disable IDE support (in the kernel configuration, under Device Drivers->ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support) and the compile should complete without further ado. 

mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by mike@May 26 2004, 06:46 AM 

karl: 

by default, support for the cf interface on the altera dev boards is enabled in the kernel.  your compile failed because it could not find the appropriate definitiions (na_ide_ide) for this interface. 

did you use the .ptf file we supplied with the distribution or have you created your own quartus project?  if you did use the .ptf file we supplied (found under nios2/examples/verilog/<board>/linux/), can you check whether the na_ide_ide symbol was created in nios2_system.h (found in your workspace for the kernel, probably nios2/bin/eclipse/workspace/<whatever_you_called_it>/build/include) 

if you created your own quartus project and you wish to use the cf interface, you&#39;ll need the compact flash component.  if you don&#39;t care or don&#39;t want to wait for the cf component, you can simply disable ide support (in the kernel configuration, under device drivers->ata/atapi/mfm/rll support) and the compile should complete without further ado. 

mike 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Mike, 

I based the system on the Full Featured ptf file from the examples Altera supplied with Nios II. Because I am in Europe we look in the VHDL directories and I never noticed the Linux example in the Verilog dirs. 

Thanks for your quick reponse. I will get back if I am succesful. 

Karl.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Were you successful?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having exactly the same problem. I used the ptf file from the distribution; altera/kits/nios2/examples/verilog/niosII_cyclone_1c20/linux/linux_1c20.ptf. :huh: :huh: :huh:

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please forgive the huh, huh, huh, in the previous post; It was unintentional.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does the build fail in exactly the same place? Or does it fail somewhere else?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It always fails in the same place. It is related to the IDE drivers though, if I turn IDE support off in the kernel configuration, it compiles correctly. I would like to include IDE support though.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you upload the copy of the nios2_system.h file for your kernel project? 

You can find it in: 

<project>/build/include 

We&#39;ll start from there and see if we can figure out what the problem is.
0 Kudos