Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Loading NIOS from SRAM Arria V GX Starter

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to configue NIOS to load from SRAM on the Arria V GX Starter kit. I have set up the system in Qsys and have attached the data master and instruction master to the tri-state controller that is driving the SRAM. If set NIOS to boot/load from on chip memory, the everything works fine. I can even write/read to the SRAM from a program running in NIOS. But if I change the reset/exception vector to the SRAM component, I get a verifying failed error when trying to download the .elf file to NIOS. What am I doing wrong? Am I making some stupid mistake somewhere? 

Does anyone have a qsys based example of NIOS loading from off chip memory on the Arria V GX starter kit? (Any one of the off-chip memory components would work for me. I just can't afford to eat up so many M10K when using the on-chip memory method. I've also tried setting up the ddr3 with no luck.). I really need an example specific to the hardware on the Arria V GX board. I've successfully setup other board using ddr2 ram without any glitches. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Update. I got the DDR3 working (meaning that I'm able to write to and read from it correctly in NIOS), but I still cannot download an .ELF file to it. I get an error stating "Download ELF Process Failed". Verify failed at address 0x0200_0000 which is the base address of the DDR3 in my system. Please help!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Update. I got the DDR3 working (meaning that I'm able to write to and read from it correctly in NIOS), but I still cannot download an .ELF file to it. I get an error stating "Download ELF Process Failed". Verify failed at address 0x0200_0000 which is the base address of the DDR3 in my system. Please help! 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi I have a similar problem with DDR3. 

How do you connect the uniphy to your bus (clocks, bridges etc etc) ? 

Can you help me to at least read\write the DDR3 (as possible with a step by step tutorial :) I'm new of qsys\NIOS system). 

0 Kudos