Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

Loading NIOS from SRAM Arria V GX Starter

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to configue NIOS to load from SRAM on the Arria V GX Starter kit. I have set up the system in Qsys and have attached the data master and instruction master to the tri-state controller that is driving the SRAM. If set NIOS to boot/load from on chip memory, the everything works fine. I can even write/read to the SRAM from a program running in NIOS. But if I change the reset/exception vector to the SRAM component, I get a verifying failed error when trying to download the .elf file to NIOS. What am I doing wrong? Am I making some stupid mistake somewhere? 

Does anyone have a qsys based example of NIOS loading from off chip memory on the Arria V GX starter kit? (Any one of the off-chip memory components would work for me. I just can't afford to eat up so many M10K when using the on-chip memory method. I've also tried setting up the ddr3 with no luck.). I really need an example specific to the hardware on the Arria V GX board. I've successfully setup other board using ddr2 ram without any glitches. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Update. I got the DDR3 working (meaning that I'm able to write to and read from it correctly in NIOS), but I still cannot download an .ELF file to it. I get an error stating "Download ELF Process Failed". Verify failed at address 0x0200_0000 which is the base address of the DDR3 in my system. Please help!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Update. I got the DDR3 working (meaning that I'm able to write to and read from it correctly in NIOS), but I still cannot download an .ELF file to it. I get an error stating "Download ELF Process Failed". Verify failed at address 0x0200_0000 which is the base address of the DDR3 in my system. Please help! 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi I have a similar problem with DDR3. 

How do you connect the uniphy to your bus (clocks, bridges etc etc) ? 

Can you help me to at least read\write the DDR3 (as possible with a step by step tutorial :) I'm new of qsys\NIOS system).