Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Loading executable files to SD card

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am following the instructions in the My_First_HPF.pdf that comes with the CD for the DE1-SoC under Demonstrations. In it, it says to load the executable onto an SD card using an ethernet router and connecting the host computer and board to it. My question is whether or not there is another way of going about this? Or do you have to use an ethernet router?  

Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In Altera SoC kit used method through DS-5 sub-window "Remote Systems" -- it shows local and board filesystems, and user may copy files anyway. 

May not use router -- only direct Eth-cable between kit & PC. On PC must be runned DHCP-server for assign to kit asked IP-address. 

Also you may insert your SD-card in PC and copy files to visible partitions.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Sir, 

May you indicate which partition on SD-card should I copy files into?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

how many partition you see when perform as cat /proc/partitions ?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What are you trying to do? The device is a standard network device, with an IP address, so just like any other device you can log in to it like a computer. 

According to the website information, the DE1-SoC has a micro SD card slot, so if you have a micro SD card and set the correct BOOTSEL and MSEL settings you should be able to load whatever you want without needing a network. Otherwise, if the SD card is mounted on the embedded Linux, then you should be able to copy files over.
0 Kudos