Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Looking for HPS to FPGA custom component integrations guideline using Qsys

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am looking for HPS to FPGA custom component integrations guideline using Qsys. I am new to SoC FPGA programming. I still could not found a material or tutorial for HPS to custom VHDL or Verilog component integration. I need to get to know what are the connections that I should make and how to/ where to declare them in C code on ARM processor and the entity of the FPGA custom designed component. Can any body post some links. 

I have read following tutorials. 

Avalon Interface Specifications pdf 

ARM_A9_intro_intelfpga pdf 

Intel_FPGA_Monitor_Program_ARM pdf 

making qsys component pdf 

Using_GIC - ARM HPS pdf 

External_Bus_to_Avalon_Bridge -nios II pdf 

Avalon_to_External_Bus_Bridge nios II pdf 

DE0-Nano-SoC_Computer_ARM pdf
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am also looking for interfacing custom component to HPS. Did you manage to find out the solutions? If yes, I request you to provide the links for the documents. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The custom component is quite easy. Did you try to create a custom component and send/receive data with it using NIOS? It should be similar but with small modifications.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply. I have not tried using NIOS. But I have seen some documents describing the same. Could you please share a document which gives detailed step by step instruction? I have gone through the tutorials on Altera and Rocketboards. These tutorials/workshops use ready made templates. These do not explain every step. I am looking for a document/tutorial/link which gives step by step for every setting. 

Thank you. 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You should try this 

ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_material/15.1/tutorials/making_qsys_components.pdf 

I also suggest you start with nios (using eclpise) to communicate with your new custom component.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for sharing the document. I have already used that tutorial. In that tutorial Avalon memory map is used. In my system I am using ARM processor instead of NIOS. I am not sure whether I can interface my custom peripheral using Avalon memory map in the case ARM. I have come across posts saying interconnect bridges can solve this. But didn't find a document on that.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thank you for sharing the document. I have already used that tutorial. In that tutorial Avalon memory map is used. In my system I am using ARM processor instead of NIOS. I am not sure whether I can interface my custom peripheral using Avalon memory map in the case ARM. I have come across posts saying interconnect bridges can solve this. But didn't find a document on that. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes the QSYS will connect the peripherals correctly, both AXI and Avalon. I already tried it and it works. 

On ARM C coding, you will need a pointer that targets the address of that custom peripheral (with lightweight offset. Check the tutorials). 

Did you try to use the ARM with gpio or any pre-built peripheral from the QSYS tool?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your reply! 

I am going through training courses provided at Altera website (https://www.altera.com/support/training/catalog.html?coursetype=online&language=english&keywords=arm). 

Hopefully these courses contain information about HPS system creation and using it in DS-5 tool.  

Yet I am not successful in using ARM system with a peripheral. While saying about C coding and pointer, you referred to check tutorials. Could you please let me know their location?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Check the following tutorial 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/design-examples/soc/fpga-to-hps-bridges-design-example.html 

and the following page 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/design-examples.html 

It was not easy for me to start using the ARM HPS. I spent hours trying to understand how to program it and the tutorials which I gave you its links were not very good but may help you. They are not really tutorials but example projects with the codes. 

But I already have experience with NIOS which help a lot start using the HPS. 

I also have better experience using Xilinx Zynq. This also helped me.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you sir for the tutorial and link. I have experience in dealing with Xilinx Zynq and other boards. Use of Arria V SoC kit is my first encounter with Altera devices. I feel my inexperience with Altera devices and the Altera SoC design flow, which is altogether different from the flow I followed for Xilinx devices, are complicating my learning.  

I have been through many tutorials, videos and links of Altera SoC designs. Altera has compiled many good examples and projects at Altera training and Rocketboards websites. Personally for a beginner like me these are advanced in nature.  

I will follow the material you have provided and will share my experience.
0 Kudos