Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Lost SDRAM controller

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey what's up. 

I installed SP2 and lost support for the SDRAM controller. 

What's a fellow to do. 

www.altera.com was no help. 

Perhaps it's time to switch FPGA suppliers. 

A very unhappy George Martin
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Martin, 

Where do you lost the SDRAM controller? I’m working with SP2 for Quartus 4.1 and SP1 for Nios II without any problems. 

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I lost it in the SPOC builder. 

When I open the SPOC builder I see the SDRAM controller but it's labeled as not installed.  

gm
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That’s strange. I think the easiest way would be to reinstall your toolchain. That’s not so much work.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's not a lost file.  

The SP2 release deleted the built in support for SDRAM controller. 

If I could go back to SP1 I suspect that the controller would be there. 

gm
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

my SDRAM controllers are all located in the Nios II (or 1) install. 

Sopc Builder does not contain the SDRAM. 

Can you check in your Nios II install (components dir), make sure that the SDRAM components are there? 

(I don't know why they wouldn't be!)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

First, it is important to know if you were using the "legacy" SDRAM controller or the new one. The class-names are altera_avalon_sdram_controller and altera_avalon_new_sdram_controller, respectively. Opening your system PTF in a text-editor is the most definitive way to check this; you may be able to tell by the GUI but I'm not sure offhand. 

Then knowing whether or not you are using a Nios-classic or Nios II will be needed next. The Nios-classic ships with both SDRAM controllers, but Nios II only ships with the new one. If you have recently switched from Nios-classic to Nios II and have a design with the legacy controller, but have removed your Nios-classic kit, then you will find that the component will show up as "NOT INSTALLED". If you didn't remove the Nios-classic, then it's possible that it got lost from the SOPC Builder component path (check $SOPC_BUILDER_PATH on your system). 

You can find out what SDRAM controllers are on your system by searching for the files em_new_sdram_controller.pl (for the new one) and em_sdram_controller.pl (the legacy one). You can also check the "install.ptf" file in a subdirectory called ".sopc_builder" under your home directory. 

Please let us know what you find along these lines, and fill-in any other relevant details. I'm sure we can resolve this for you.  

As for the original suspicions: the SDRAM controller is shipped with Nios, and not with Quartus/SOPC Builder, and the Quartus 4.1 SP2 installer will not delete your SDRAM controller.
0 Kudos