Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

MMU and Nios

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello, 

I would like to know if Altera has implemented a MMU in the new processor NIOS II? I know that Microtronix has a linux 2.6 OS compiled for Nios 2. also I know that linux works with MMU stuff. And uC-Linux works without MMU. I'm a little bit confused. 

Best regards 

Christian
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by spy1@Aug 12 2004, 06:55 AM 

hello, 

i would like to know if altera has implemented a mmu in the new processor nios ii?  i know that microtronix has a linux 2.6 os compiled for nios 2.  also i know that linux works with mmu stuff.  and uc-linux works without mmu.  i'm a little bit confused. 

best regards 

christian 

--- Quote End ---  

Microtronix's linux is a port of ucLinux not Linux, ucLinux doesn't require an MMU. 

If you search about on the web and possibly alteras website there is talk of a Nios II MMU (megafunction?) being provided at some point down the line, personally i'd like to see this asap. 

Adrian