Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12599 Discussions

Making Simple Sockets Server run Standalone

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there a way to have this example program which uses Telnet on port 30, for a Max10 FPGA, to run without the aid of the NIOS II Eclipse software? In other words, can I set it up to just have the FPGA development board (terasic MAX 10 NEEK) run standalone with just an Ethernet cable connected to a host machine with a Telnet console, and no uart/jtag uart? I have followed App Note 730 before to successfully self-boot another project. 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Even if you do, what are you going to talk to? You'd need something to decode the incoming commands and give some sort of response. A nios will be the easiest option.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Even if you do, what are you going to talk to? You'd need something to decode the incoming commands and give some sort of response. A nios will be the easiest option. 

--- Quote End ---  

NIOS would run internally on the MAX10 FPGA. I'm just saying I'd only want to connect Ethernet, no uart/JTAG cable. And it would be self-bootable. Is this possible?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can I get any other opinions? The final application needs to not have the JTAG/USB cable connected. This is an embedded device that needs to have predetermined commands issued from a TCP/IP connection to a host computer.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You will need logic to decode the IP and TCP layers, as well as a Mac and something to talk to the phy. These can be done with a core but you need something to decode the TCP after the IP later is stripped off.

0 Kudos