Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12596 Discussions

Making a device driver for a custom hardware component

OKris1
Beginner

hi. i have made a simple 2s complement calculator with which perfomrs simple basic opertations like (* , / , + , -). It has an avalon slave interface, clk interface, interrupt interface and reset interface. It has 3 32 bit wide registers which are addressed by 2 bit address input. 2 registers for input and one for output results.

Simulating in model SIM shows that hte hardware works fine. I have then made a QSYS compionent for it, integrated it in a NIOS II QSYS system and generated VHDL output, .sopcinfo file, all successful.

I have then started to write some firmware code for this system, and I can access all my pheirpherals, except for my custom made 2's complement calculator, I may have designed the register interfaces wrong?

I have started to think about maybe i need to write a custom driver firmware code, basing my assumptation on that my hwardware implementation is correct.

I have read through a lot of NIOS II firmware documentation , but they are to comphrehensive and from my hardware almost only background its too much to digest, hundreds of pages on howe the firmware and HAL and driver layers are built up.

Is there an easy, small apllication note with example showing on how to make a custom made, 3x32bit registers QSYS component , with HAL API driver to work with NIOS II envirtonment.?

BR

Øystein

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Eliath_G_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
Eliath_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Øystein,

Hoping you're really well, I was wondering if the information provided was useful to solve your problem or if you need something else to solve it.

Please let me know so I can help you with your needs or if it's solved, send the case to Closing status, after doing that you'll have a period of 15 days to post something new related to your issue.

Thanks,

-Eliath Guzman

0 Kudos