Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Max5 Power Monitor

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm working with the Arria starter kit. To start with, I've already seen this: 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/how_to_read_power_monitor_value_in_system_console 

but I still have some questions. 

1)How do I figure out what the reference voltage is for a given rail? 

2)How do I figure out what the resistance is? 

3)Where do these numbers comes from? sld_access_ir $vj 1 2 vs. sld_access_ir $vj 2 2 

4)The output I get from sld_access_dr $vj 16 1  

[list 0x00 0x00] looks like : 0x11 0x0, 0x16 0x0, etc.. 

is this backwards? I ask because the upper bytes shift wildly between 0x10 and 0x20, and the lower bytes are always 0x0, which seems backwards to me. 

Thanks, 

Jonah
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Jonah, 

Yes, very likely it is "backwards" (i.e., the least significant byte is printed first). 

I am sort of reverse engineering Power Monitor's behavior to automate some measurements on a Cyclone IV Development Kit. 

Here are some observations, which may or not be true: 

- The values read seem to the the least significant bits of a 24-bit ADC; in the formulas, some have advised dividing the reference voltage by 23 and multiplying by the value read. 

- You can read the resistance values by looking at the components on the PCB, or by looking and the schematics or datasheets for your board. 

- I believe all rails use the same reference voltage, because it is a single configuration for the whole ADC. In my board, it seems to be 5.37 or 5.0V. 

- The number changing from 1 to 2 in your question# 3 is the value to be written in the instruction register. The second value should be a timeout in microseconds. 

Hope this helps. 

Ricardo
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've created a script to read the current values from a command line, using system-console. It's been tested with the 'Cyclone IV GX Transceiver Starter Kit' and 'Cyclone IV GX FPGA Development Kit' boards, but it should be easy to adapt to other platforms. 

https://github.com/ricardo-jasinski/power_monitor_automation 

Good luck!