Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Maybe another bug in NIOS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After Quartus and Nios IDE 10.1 are installed in windows XP, no user account(non-adminstrator account) can run NIOS IDE. 

After 5 days hardwork, I finially got it work. I have to get Nios IDE running in 56 PC in 4 labs by next Monday!!! Otherwise students and Head of School will kick my ***!!! 

Solution: 

NIOS IDE has to run by an Adminstrator account once, before any user account uses it. 

Why? 

Carriage returns in all ini files in altera\10.1\nios2eds\bin\eclipse_nios2 is 0x0A. It should be 0x0D 0x0A in windows!.  

I guess the ini files are copied from Linux without checking.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

By Nios do you mean the Altera Nios2 EDS or the Nios II soft-IP core?  

Some time ago, a customer to whom we sold the source files of the project had some problems when recompiling them in QuartusII under Windows and the problem was with license retrieval for NiosII Core. 

Reading your post, it seems that the problem is not Nios but the tools.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

By Nios do you mean the Altera Nios2 EDS or the Nios II soft-IP core?  

Some time ago, a customer to whom we sold the source files of the project had some problems when recompiling them in QuartusII under Windows and the problem was with license retrieval for NiosII Core. 

Reading your post, it seems that the problem is not Nios but the tools. 

--- Quote End ---  

It's the NIOS IDE 10.1(Nios II Software Build Tools for Eclipse).  

This problem is critical for University lab, because we can not grant administrator(windows) to all under graduate students.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You might get away with setting the 'run as admin' option on the program icon. I think this actually moves the program, replacing it with a program that elevates it privs before running the original program. 

Clearly this wil still let your students trash system files - but at least they'll have to try a bit harder.
0 Kudos