Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Misaligned Multicast Message

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I get a misaliged memory trap in the network stack and am posting here to see if anyone has seen a similar problem. 

I have a complex MicroC/OS-II multi-task application that uses multicast messages occasionally to report status. The application responds to a finger message with a multicast response. 

The application is up for hours and processes hundreds if not thousands of these messages. Then with no correlation to other network activity I can discern I get a multicast message that gets a misaligned memory failure deep in the network stack. The call trace at the memory trap is below. 

Send_Mcast is my routine responding to the finger. The rest of the routines are from the iniche libraries. Send_Mcast calls send which via a macro becomes t_sendto. Many layers down I get a NIOS2_READ_EXCEPTION with cause 6 which is NIOS2_EXCEPTION_MISALIGNED_DATA_ADDR. 

ROUTINE::::::::::: CODE in ROUTINE 

Send_Mcast::::::: if (sendto(sock, (void *)pB, size, 0, (struct sockaddr *)&destAddr, sizeof(destAddr)) < 0) { 

t_sendto::::::::::: err = sosend(so, name, buf, &sendlen, flags); 

sosend::::::::::::: error = (*so->so_proto->pr_usrreq)(so, head, nam); 

udp_usrreq::::::::: return udp4_socksend(so, m, nam ); 

udp4_socksend:::: e = udp_send(fport, udpconn->u_lport, pkt); 

udp_send::::::::::: e = ip_write(UDP_PROT, p); 

ip_write::::::::::::: return (ip_write_internal(p)); 

ip_write_internal::: inm = lookup_mcast(p->fhost, p->net); 

lookup_mcast::::::: if(imp->inm_addr == addr) { /// this traps.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Further investigation shows that sending multicast messages in the face of network traffic gets a failure. I created code that sends a multicast message once a second. This code gets the illegal memory trap described here after 10 to 20 attempts.