Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Missing NIOS II Hardware in run configurations

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Folks, 

I have inherited a mature design from a previous project. The target is a DE0_nano, with a NIOS II/f processor in the design. My qts version is 11.1, fully licensed, windows 10 env. The project builds without error. When I launch eclipse, it builds the BSP and the processor application code. What is missing is a NIOS II hardware target when I bring up the run or debug configurations dialog. I cant load and run the project on the Nios using eclipse. 

I have built everything from scratch, rebuilt the BSP and this selection is not in my configuration. A developer using the exact same project directory with the exact tools can bring eclipse up and the NIOS II Hardware is available. I can program the FPGA OK, and download and run the NIOS using the command line, so I kno that the JTAG chain is intact and working. 

Question: How does eclipse kno that a NIOS II is "out there" as a viable target to load and debug? 

Thanks, 

Ed
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Are you launching eclipse from Quartus 11.? We should use the same version of Quartus and eclipse. 

What problem are you facing not able to understand show some images? 

To check whether Nios II Embedded Design Suite is available in eclipse to click on Help->install new software->What is already installed. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Ed, 

--- Quote Start ---  

What is missing is a NIOS II target when you right-click on the application in the project explorer, mouseover Debug As. 

--- Quote End ---  

1. Try from Debug As ->Debug configuration and select the NIOS II hardware. 

2. Eclipse toolbar window-> Open Perspective->check if Nios II is the default if not ->Other and change to Nios II. 

3. Run Nios II Eclipse as Administrator. 

Check post from caridee http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30848 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1. Try from Debug As ->Debug configuration and select the NIOS II hardware. 

I have tried that, there is no NIOS II hardware selection in the RC menu 

2. Eclipse toolbar window-> Open Perspective->check if Nios II is the default if not ->Other and change to Nios II. 

When I open the Nios II perspective, little changes. There is also the Nios II Debug perspective. It has a different window organization but still no debug. 

3. Run Nios II Eclipse as Administrator. 

Check post from caridee http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30848 

I did this like the the article suggested. Still no Nios II hardware to debug. I know running as admin took effect because all of the file explorers that come up in eclipse have the CWD in the quartus bin directory 

Thanks, 

Ed
0 Kudos