Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Multiprocessor Problems

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I'm currently working on a simle NIOSII multiprocessor system running on a cyclone development board. I'm using Quartus 5.1 and IDE 5.1 as well. The system contains two cpus (cpu_0 and cpu_1), two timers (timer_1 and timer_2 - one for each cpu), two jtag-uarts( again one for each cpu), a sdram component that is used as memory for both cpus (bottom half for cpu_0, top half for cpu_1) and 4 LEDs for each cpu. No Problem so far. 

Things get difficult when I try to run a very simple program (just flashing the attached LEDs for each cpu) on the system. For example, I download the program for the first cpu. Everything is fine, i.e. the LEDs of cpu_0 start to flash. Then I download the program for the second cpu. During download, the first cpu stops working!!! Although the second cpu runs as expected, the first cpu does nothing. I tried to change the order of the program downloads, the same error occurs: Only the last cpu I download a program to is working. 

So here are my questions: 

Does anyone get the same errors?  

Is this a bug (there are some threads discussing problems with the cpu-id assignment)? By the way: when I used Quartus 5.0 and IDE 5.0 everything was working correctly!! http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have various 2/4 CPU designs working with Nios II 5.1... but things like that never happened to me! are you using a multiprocessor collection to load the demos? probably there is something wrong in some SOPCBuilder or in some other setting in the Nios II IDE...  

If it can be useful, on Nios 5.1 I typically follow a set of steps similar to those described in the tutorial in the ERIKA Enterprise Reference Manual, available at http://www.evidence.eu.com/nios2/literature.asp (http://www.evidence.eu.com/nios2/literature.asp

bye 

Paolo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks paolo.gai, 

I tried both ways, the download of a multiprocessor collection and the seperat download of each program. Unfortunately, the system seems not to care, it is just not working. By the way, in my opinion the download of a multiprocessor collection is just for simplicity so that the user doesn&#39;t have to build and download each program separately. IDE also build and donwloads the programs one after another. 

I checked all options in SOPC-Builder and IDE twice (and I did already apply the "allow multiple run/debug seesion" options). I can&#39;t see any mistake, so I&#39;m stuck and need help PLEASE !! http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello,rj043 

I meet the same problem with you. I use Quartus 5.1 and IDE 5.1.I found Only one CPU work when I download Collection.when I do as tutorial,there is no message from JTAG.so,I do a multiprocessor myself which don&#39;t share anything. 

unfortunately,only one of them can work.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In your case, that could be the problem of CPUID already reported in other posts of th forum. 

If you have a 1s40 evaluation board, and you are looking for a demo, you can also try the 2-CPU design available on the web at the literature page of ERIKA Enterprise. It&#39;s a QAR file with the design, using only standard altera parts. With that design, I&#39;m able to have a separate JTAG UART for each CPU 

I hope it helps! 

bye 

Paolo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello,paolo.gai, I solve my prolbem when i reinstall my Quartus and NiosIDE . Thank you. but I meet a new problem,How to flash programmer my Multiprocessor system in NiosIDE? Whether Multiprocessor system can be flash by other way? 

regard 

gjf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@hhh_gif 

You did reinstall your software http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif ? Well, for me it is also true that I used 5.0 on my machine before I installed 5.1. Maybe I should try this to...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by hhh_gjf@Apr 10 2006, 04:38 AM 

thank you. but i meet a new problem,how to flash programmer my multiprocessor system in nioside? whether  multiprocessor system can be flash by other way? 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=14184) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

About flashing, we used without too many problems the Altera Nios II Flash Programmer. A few paragraphs about the tricky things to take care of are included in the ERIKA Enterprise Reference Manual (I posted the URL at the start of this post). 

bye 

Paolo
0 Kudos