Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

My first nios build problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! 

i have been building FPGA projects for some time, but i finally decided to make the jump to NIOS and soft cores. I've been getting the same error whenever i try to make the "my first nios" using the DE0 board and the "Hello world" eclipse build: 

f:/altera/nios2eds/bin/gnu/h-x86_64-mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/5.3.0/../../../../../H-x86_64-mingw32/nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: address 0x10da4 of test3.elf section `.bss' is not within region `onchip_memory2' 

it seems to be related to the JTAG UART, as if i turn off in QSYS it builds correctly in Eclipse, but then no STD-OUT! 

no matter what i do with the QSYS build it doesn't work! the QSYS and HDL build correctly, but when i try to build the project in Eclipse i get the above error. super frustrating. 

any help would be appreciated! 

thanks.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

You may need to try increasing the On-Chip Memory size, as I don't think this is related to JTAG UART. 

Most likely it is due to BSP editor settings or on-chip memory size.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Thanks! increasing the size of the memory worked. strange as i used the amount from the tutorial (32768).
0 Kudos