Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

NIOS Eclipse not starting for 18.1

RShie
Novice

My Eclipse Mars IDE was working yesterday. Today when I start eclipse it I get the error in the error log. 

!SESSION 2020-09-16 11:55:35.277 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=4.5.2.M20160212-1500
java.version=1.8.0_05
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.epp.package.cpp.product -pluginCustomization C:/intelfpga_lite/18.1/nios2eds/bin/eclipse_nios2/plugin_customization.ini
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.cpp.product -pluginCustomization C:/intelfpga_lite/18.1/nios2eds/bin/eclipse_nios2/plugin_customization.ini

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2020-09-16 11:55:35.975
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.RuntimeException: Application "org.eclipse.ui.ide.workbench" could not be found in the registry. The applications available are: org.eclipse.cdt.codan.core.application, org.eclipse.cdt.core.GeneratePDOM, org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild, org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.E4Application, org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.GenTopic, org.eclipse.equinox.app.error, org.eclipse.help.base.infocenterApplication, org.eclipse.help.base.helpApplication, org.eclipse.help.base.indexTool.
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppContainer.startDefaultApp(EclipseAppContainer.java:248)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.MainApplicationLauncher.run(MainApplicationLauncher.java:29)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:380)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:235)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:669)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:608)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1515)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1488)

Uninstalling and reinstalling Quartus does not make this problem go way (It really should and it reminds me of my loathing for Eclipse)

So what do I do to fix this? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RShie
Novice

So no answer? 

I really wish embedded platforms would stop using Eclipse. 

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

Hi, Robin

May I know which Quartus edition you are using ?

There are requirements for your PC, you may refer to below:

https://fpgasoftware.intel.com/requirements/18.1/

https://fpgasoftware.intel.com/18.1/?edition=standard&platform=linux

Eric

0 Kudos
ElmarY
Novice

Hi,

I get this error and just deleted the folder .altera.sbt4e from C:\Users\USERNAME\ and relaunch again Eclipse for Nios2, it worked.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
RShie
Novice

Okay thanks for this. 

We have to use various embedded devices and one of those is Netburner that also uses Eclipse. I had the same problem with that too.

In the end I managed to track down what I believe to be the problem. We also use dsPIC digital signal controller processors from Microchip. Their MPLAB X IDE is also based on Java like Eclipse. 

If I keep MPLAB and Eclipse on separate machines the problem goes away. 

0 Kudos