Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

NIOS Ethernet Rate

DBarn22
Novice

I am running a NIOS II on a MAX10 (10M25DAF256C8G).  I have a processor clock speed of 150MHz with most other components running at 100MHz.  I have a Triple Speed Ethernet Core connected in what I believe to be a standard configuration (with TX and RX MSGDMA).  The Ethernet chip is a DP83848IVVX (which is 10/100).

From this I send and receive UDP packets.  I require a TX packet rate of 800 packets per second, of 524 bytes each (i.e. <3.3Mb/s).  I was expecting to be able to achieve this with this configuration.

With my test system sending data without pause, I am only achieving 250 packets per second at 44 bytes each.

My questions:
1) Am I correct to expect 800x524bytes to be achievable with this configuration?
2) If there is a problem with my design, is there any advice on identifying the bottleneck?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

What mode are you using in the Triple Speed Ethernet IP Core? RGMII SGMII etc..

DBarn22
Novice

MII