Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12367 Discussions

NIOS Execute in place from EPCS flash

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

I am trying to load the NIOS code into EPCS and execute from EPCS. After compiling the code in Eclipse. I am getting the following error. 

address 0x3e09f88 of nios_hdmi.elf section `.text' is not within region `epcs_flash_controller_0' 

When I see the EPCS size it shows 2016 bytes. I have no idea how to increase the size of EPCS in Qsys. 

Can anyone help me on this? 

Thanks 

Karthik
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

I don't recall there is an option to define EPCS size in Qsys.  

If you are executing-in-place from EPCS, very unlikely your .elf will exceed the EPCS size, unless your application is really huge, or your EPCS is relatively small.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

You can't execute your code in place from the EPCS. The epcs_flash_controller_0 region is a ROM memory containing a bootloader that will copy your code from the EPCS into the main RAM. If you want to avoid that the only other solution I can think of is to implement an on-chip ROM in the FPGA but it will use resources.