Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

NIOS I : Networking – spurious interrupt

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi I’m trying to recreate the standard_32 example that ships with the NIOS I on my ALTERA cyclone development board. I decided to add the peripherals piece by piece and test each one as I go along. Since I eventually want to use a system with only networking and one proto header I’ve opted to add the networking first. I’m using the hello_plugs.c example program to test the hardware.  

Now for my problem: As soon as I receive any data I get a <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

spurious interrupt number: 00000011 (or 00000010 depending on when I put in the RJ45 ethernet cable)[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

message. But I don’t know how to locate interrupt 11. It is not defined in Excalibur.h  

Is there any documentation that describes how to get the networking going on the cyclone development board with NIOS I.  

What is the best way to trace/ troubleshoot the irq error? 

Thanks in advance. 

Jan Hendrik
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

One simple bit is that the spurious interrupt is reported in HEX and the IRQ numbers in SOPC are decimal, so 11 hex is decimal 17. 

For the peripherals I can, I have them come up inactive and activate them after I install the ISR. 

Ken
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In Sopc Builder see what peripheral is at that IRQ. then change the IRQ.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks I’ll do that. I didn’t realize that the interrupt was in HEX. What do I do if irq 16 (Hex 10) is not listed in SOPC builder. I found 17 (HEX 11) and changed that to 20 (HEX 14) because it seems to be available. I’ll test the new configuration on Monday when I’m back at varsity.  

Ken : where can I read more about enabling / disabling IRQ’s on NIOS I and NIOS II? I would also like to follow your approach and only enable the IRQ’s once I’ve installed the ISR.  

Jan Hendrik
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

NIOS I has an ISR document listed with all the others (go to the NIOS I documentation). (Has an example with the RS232 Uart I believe) 

I&#39;m guessing NIOS II has one as well but that big 100000 page document should have it too (I&#39;m kidding about the size of the doc btw)
0 Kudos