Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12599 Discussions

NIOS II 12.0 Installation and Tutorialproblems

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I tried the tutorial "tut_sopc_introduction_vhdl" and "myfirstniosii.pdf". Both are on a System CD from terasIC and both don't work on my PC. When I try the Altera Monitor Program Tutorial all is okay (I can compile and load the demo programm basic computer de2-115). But when I try the sopc introduction tutorial I got these message in the Info&Error Box: 

Info: ******************************************************************* 

Info: Running Quartus II 32-bit Programmer 

Info: Version 12.0 Build 178 05/31/2012 SJ Web Edition 

Info: Copyright (C) 1991-2012 Altera Corporation. All rights reserved. 

Info: Your use of Altera Corporation's design tools, logic functions  

Info: and other software and tools, and its AMPP partner logic  

Info: functions, and any output files from any of the foregoing  

Info: (including device programming or simulation files), and any  

Info: associated documentation or information are expressly subject  

Info: to the terms and conditions of the Altera Program License  

Info: Subscription Agreement, Altera MegaCore Function License  

Info: Agreement, or other applicable license agreement, including,  

Info: without limitation, that your use is for the sole purpose of  

Info: programming logic devices manufactured by Altera and sold by  

Info: Altera or its authorized distributors. Please refer to the  

Info: applicable agreement for further details. 

Info: Processing started: Sun Jun 02 16:33:07 2013 

Info: Command: quartus_pgm -c "USB-Blaster [USB-0]" -m jtag -o P;C:\altera_tutorials\sopc_tutorial_vhdl\light.sof 

Info (213045): Using programming cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]" 

Info (213011): Using programming file C:/altera_tutorials/sopc_tutorial_vhdl/light.sof with checksum 0x00562AB9 for device EP4CE115F29 

Info (209060): Started Programmer operation at Sun Jun 02 16:33:09 2013 

Info (209016): Configuring device index 1 

Info (209017): Device 1 contains JTAG ID code 0x020F70DD 

Info (209007): Configuration succeeded -- 1 device(s) configured 

Info (209011): Successfully performed operation(s) 

Info (209061): Ended Programmer operation at Sun Jun 02 16:33:15 2013 

Info: Quartus II 32-bit Programmer was successful. 0 errors, 0 warnings 

Info: Peak virtual memory: 181 megabytes 

Info: Processing ended: Sun Jun 02 16:33:15 2013 

Info: Elapsed time: 00:00:08 

Info: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:09 

Compiling source files... 

nios2-elf-as --gstabs -I C:/altera/12.0/quartus/../nios2eds/components/altera_nios2/sdk/inc -I C:/altera_tutorials/sopc_tutorial_vhdl C:/altera_tutorials/sopc_tutorial_vhdl/app_software/lights.s -o C:/altera_tutorials/sopc_tutorial_vhdl/lights.s.o  

C:/altera_tutorials/sopc_tutorial_vhdl/app_software/lights.s:0: Warning: end of file not at end of a line; newline inserted 

Linking... 

nios2-elf-ld --defsym nasys_program_mem=0x1000 --defsym nasys_data_mem=0x1000 --section-start .exceptions=0x1020 --section-start .reset=0x1000 -e _start -u _start --script c:/altera/12.0/University_Program/Monitor_Program/build/nios_as_build.ld -g -o C:/altera_tutorials/sopc_tutorial_vhdl/lights.elf C:/altera_tutorials/sopc_tutorial_vhdl/lights.s.o  

ELF generated at C:\altera_tutorials\sopc_tutorial_vhdl\lights.elf. 

nios2-elf-objcopy -O srec C:/altera_tutorials/sopc_tutorial_vhdl/lights.elf C:/altera_tutorials/sopc_tutorial_vhdl/lights.srec  

SREC generated at C:\altera_tutorials\sopc_tutorial_vhdl\lights.srec. 

There are no Nios II CPUs with debug modules available which match the values 

specified. Please check that your PLD is correctly configured, downloading a 

new SOF file if necessary. 

When I want to run the Hallo World Program for the tutorial myfirstniosii.pdf I can't get a connection between my PC and the board. There is something what I don't understand and what is confusing me. I also have problems when I don't use the stand alone programmer from Altera. 

In a thread I read that somebody has a similar problem and got the same message. Someone told him to execcute jtagconfig -n and post the outtake. My outtake is: 

[NiosII EDS]$ jtagconfig -n 

1> USB-Blaster [USB-0] 

020F70DD EP3C120/EPCE115 

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have some "Warnings" when I compile the project in Quartus II: 

Warning (20013): Ignored assignments for entity "nios_system" -- entity does not exist in design Warning (20014): Assignment for entity set_global_assignment -name IP_TOOL_NAME sopc -entity nios_system -qip nios_system.qip was ignored Warning (20014): Assignment for entity set_global_assignment -name IP_TOOL_VERSION 12.0 -entity nios_system -qip nios_system.qip was ignored Warning (20014): Assignment for entity set_global_assignment -name IP_TOOL_ENV sopc -entity nios_system -qip nios_system.qip was ignored  

Does it matter? 

Thanks for any help!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I changed the processor to NiosII/e and Debug level 1, because I use Web Edition and I have no licence. But some say that when the DE2-115 is connected via USB to my host PC then I can use also the NIOS II Processor /f. 

I generate the system in SOPC Builder and compile in QuartusII. Now, I load the sof file succesfully to the fpga and with the Altera Monitor Program I compile and load the files. But it is the same error. I think a licence can't be the problem. 

I use Quartus 12.0 Web Edition, Nios II EDS 12.0, Nios Legacy Tools 12.0 with SP2, Quartus II Programer 12.0 and Altera Monitor Program 12.0. OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Some here in the forum wrote that it helps when they delete the sof file and the ptf file. Then I compile new files. But still the same error message in the Altera Monitor Program. 

0 Kudos