Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

NIOS II Command Shell cannot execute binary file

pdi_eng
New Contributor I

I have a board with an FPGA that we have traditionally programmed using the NIOS Command Shell on an XP computer with Quartus 9.1.  I have been working on moving the programming operations to a new Win10 machine.

I now have the Win10 machine looking at the correct places to bring the NIOS Command Shell up using the 9.1 environment but now when I run the command to program, it says that it "cannot execute binary file"

We are using Altera Nios Development Kit v 3.20 build 18.

To program we use "nr -x "file_to_send"".  nr is a shortcut in the ...\altera\91sp2\nios2eds\bin folder.  This shortcut goes to ...\altera\kits\nios\bin\nios-run.exe.

Why wouldn't I be able to run this command on this computer?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pdi_eng
New Contributor I

What does it mean that it "cannot execute binary file"?

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @pdi_eng,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum, hope this message find you well and apologies for the delayed in response.
Unfortunately for environment 9.1 are already obsolete and we recommend to upgrade to the newer version, however would try out best to clarify your doubts.

Please do try to run with the full command nios-run to see if similar error persisted, and here are some guide to the param for the command to flash which I think might be useful.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @pdi_eng,

Good day, just checking in to see if there is any further doubts in regards to this matter.
Please do let us know.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @pdi_eng,

Hope this message find you well and good day, unfortunately as we do not receive any response from you to the previous clarification that we have provided. This thread will now be transitioned to community support. If you have new queries or further qeury on this thread, please feel free to open a new thread or reopen this thread to get support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will further help you with doubts in this thread.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
pdi_eng
New Contributor I

I apologize, I was pulled into other projects.

Do you know if is possible to migrate this to a newer version of the NIOS?

Our client supplied us with the firmware and tools to perform the download so it might not even be an option to upgrade.

I also tried to run the full nios-run command and I get the same "cannot execute binary file" error.

0 Kudos