Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

NIOS II Hello world

JBlec2
Beginner

Hi for my little excerice project i need to follow a instruction.

It says, that i need to implement the NIOS II Soft Core Processor onto my DE10 nano cyclone V Board:

https://www.mouser.de/new/terasic-technologies/terasic-de10-nano-kit/

I work with Quartus 18.1

First i opened the Plattform Designer and selected the described IPs. I made the interconnections Assigned the Base Adresses and generated the HDL .qip.

The .qip file needs to be included into the Project.

Then i wrote a little toplvl in system verilog. it instantiates a NIOS II... i think...

Then i compiled everything . The result is a .sof file which i downloaded to the cyclone V .

Now it was possible to open Eclipse, select the sopcinfo file and the processor and create a new niosII simple example.

It is necessairy to build all and check the run as configurations. There i checked the connection to the nios II. it looked ok...

I pressed run.

But no hello world came out on the console of the NIOS :,(

I will add more details soon ! ( It takes a while to collect all the data )

🏄 I hope we will find a solution

Best regards from germany :D

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JBlec2
Beginner

attachment

JBlec2
Beginner

a part of the .qip file that comes out of the "generator HDL" at the plattform designer

JBlec2
Beginner
posted a file.
JBlec2
Beginner

the toplevel that instanciates the nios

JBlec2
Beginner

what i have done so far

AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Blech,

Are you loading correct sopcinfo file??

1. Your Quartus project or Qsys system is in a directory C:\intelFPGA_lite\18.1\test1806 and you are loading .sopcinfo file from C:\intelFPGA_lite\projects\de10_nano_rh ???
  2. Is onboard user LED's working as per tour logic??

if LEDs are working, recreate the eclipse project and check.

Regards

Anand

JBlec2
Beginner

Hi Anand,

i have no idea if this is the correct .sopcinfo file. recently i really thought about it. and i also looked for another sopcinfo file but didnt find one.

now i will look again ! maybe there is a project specific sopcinfo file.....

AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Yes, sopcinfo file is specific for a given project.

JBlec2
Beginner

Hello from Nios II!

JBlec2
Beginner

Omg it worked

JBlec2
Beginner

just because of the sopcinfo file direction

AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Good to know, Thanks for update.

JBlec2
Beginner

today i asked myself again why hello world doesnt work this time ! i think i need to integrate a UART communication Interface to the avalon bus - then the nios can output its data "hello world "- i am now compiling everything. i takes extremly long time xD

JBlec2
Beginner

oh to make the compilation faster we should turn off some options in assignment setting s ! now it compiles 5 times faster...