Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

NIOS II : How to Getting started

TRoa
New Contributor I

Hi,

I hope this post finds you all good in health.

I have FPGA background(Verilog based designing in some other FPGA).

Now, I got a job where my task is to write NIOS II based C codes.

The thing is, I know C language, but I don't know anything about Microprocessors and Microcontrollers.

I have done few getting started tutorials in NIOS II, but the thing is, this is not helping.

C macros seems to contain a lot of "background substance". Which I am missing right now.

So, I need an opinion from somebody already experienced in such cases, that how to jump situations like this when it comes to microprocessor programming?

Please keep in mind that my final task will be to develop codes for Automotive sensor development.

I am posting this here because I know there are many guys and girls around here, who are best in the world, and this is a right forum to ask.

//Tahir

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JOHI
New Contributor II

Hello TRoa,

First of all, you need a very good knowledge of C / C++,I have been programming C for many years, and I still discover new things: The Waite Group has very good books ("C primer plus", "C++ primer plus" by Stephen Prata).

Second there are good books by Mr. Pong Chu "Embedded SoPC Design with Nios II Processor and Verilog Examples".

Read these books, and you will have a solid background to start your quest.

Third, get yourself a development board a DE10-standard or something similar and start doing experiments. Do not use the SOC itself, use an FPGA based Nios-II processor embedded in the fpga for simplicity.

Do not underestimate the task before you, the learning curve is steep and difficult mostly due to the combination of different tools. In the beginning nothing will work and you will do a lot of cursing. Do not give up, sooner or later you will make progress.

Best Regards,

Johi

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You can go through the training from link below for Nios II Processor.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/design-software/design-software/embedded-software-developers.html

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Anand Raj Shankar

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)

TRoa
New Contributor I

@Anand Raj ShankarX​ 

Thank you for replying.

Actually non of the links on page you mentioned above are working. Some are empty, others are calling for a request for the class and some ends up showing "Request method 'POST' not supported" when clicked.

Can you kindly guide on this matter please?

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee
Abe
Valued Contributor II

You could take a look at the following link for design resources using NIOS-II

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/processors/support.html

0 Kudos
Abe
Valued Contributor II

Take a look at the following PDF guide for getting started with NIOS-II

TRoa
New Contributor I

@Abe​ 

@ARS-User​ 

Thank you for replying sir. I have seen this tutorial few days ago. Actually I am looking for a course, an extensive one, that teaches how to design software for the NIOS II processor. Can you please identify any course anywhere, that discuses software development for NIOS II processor?

Please note that I have already done few online freely available tutorials on NIOS II, and have gone through the whole designing process of NIOS II processor (design in Qsys and Running C files in Eclipse).

Now I need a deeper insight into the architecture of NIOS II as well as C based code development.

I am in Germany right now.

Regards

Tahir

0 Kudos
JOHI
New Contributor II

Hello TRoa,

First of all, you need a very good knowledge of C / C++,I have been programming C for many years, and I still discover new things: The Waite Group has very good books ("C primer plus", "C++ primer plus" by Stephen Prata).

Second there are good books by Mr. Pong Chu "Embedded SoPC Design with Nios II Processor and Verilog Examples".

Read these books, and you will have a solid background to start your quest.

Third, get yourself a development board a DE10-standard or something similar and start doing experiments. Do not use the SOC itself, use an FPGA based Nios-II processor embedded in the fpga for simplicity.

Do not underestimate the task before you, the learning curve is steep and difficult mostly due to the combination of different tools. In the beginning nothing will work and you will do a lot of cursing. Do not give up, sooner or later you will make progress.

Best Regards,

Johi