Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

NIOS II IDE weirdness

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After running/debugging in the NIOS II IDE for a while, I get in a situation where the IDE becomes unresponsive. When I click in the editor window to type some code, nothing happens. The way that I can fix this is to either shut it down or switch to another application and then switch back. It seems like the IDE gets in a situation where the OnFocus() does not get called... It degrades to where the backspace and delete keys quit working also....  

Anyone else experiencing this problem? 

I am running a Dell Inspiron laptop, P4 2GHZ, 640mb RAM, XP SP1, and I have over 10gb of free disk space....
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So that someone from software can see this. What version of Nios are you using?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I gave everything but the most important thing http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif  

Version: 1.1.0 

Build: 137 

thanx
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I usually kill and reload the IDE when it shows signs of more than its usual sluggishness, since a hang or crash is surely on its way with javaw.exe consuming loads of memory and cpu time. 

It is almost guaranteed to go wrong some time during an editing session if I start typing braces to add entries within an initialisation structure, see example below. 

IDE is V1.1.0 build 137 but I think it was present before. 

typedef struct 

int a; 

int b; 

} egrec; 

egrec A[] = 

{  

{ 1, 2 }, 

{ 3 ,4 }, 

{7,8}, 

{5, 6} 

}; 

the inner braces will be ok if pasted in as a pair but not if entered one or other at a time. Just tried it in a new file typing in the ascending order of the numbers. After 8}, sudden lurch, the cpu is consuming 100% and javaw.exe is up to 1/2 GB and it&#39;s slow typing this. A minute later cpu time is ok again but memory is still hogged so I&#39;ll post now while the going&#39;s good, kill the IDE and reload... Doesn&#39;t usually happen this soon or so easily.
0 Kudos