Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

NIOS II PIO Data read problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All. 

I have some problems with data processing, based on NIOS core. My FPGA project includes external interface, strobe line (NIOS Internal interrupt or just Flag), 8 bit data input port and FIFOed UART (as stdout). 

I try to read PIO data from Port, but i see that they are wrong (I have ana another external UART for Debug, included before the NIOS Port). 

I have no Idea, what is wrong. 

Please, tell me... 

Source code: 

while(1) 

do 

edge = IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(STROBE_BASE); 

IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_EDGE_CAP(STROBE_BASE, 0x0); 

while(edge & 1); 

data = IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(DATA_BASE); 

printf("0x%02X ",data); 

IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_EDGE_CAP(DATA_BASE, 0x0); 

do 

edge = IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(STROBE_BASE); 

IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_EDGE_CAP(STROBE_BASE, 0x0); 

while((edge & 1) == 0); 

Thank you...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

First of all you must write ones, not zero, into edge capture register to reset status: 

IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_EDGE_CAP(STROBE_BASE, 1

Anyway this seems to be irrelevant, unless you are using edge capture in another part of the code. 

I guess your problem is that you can't get the correct pio status in 'data', isn't it? 

This can be simply due to bad timing relative to strobe signal.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes it is. I can not get a correct data from PIO port inside NIOS core. I have an idea about wrong external timing signal for STROBE input. In addition, it seems to me, that i can sometimes read data at the same time that as they are changes. Can i use triggered buffer for this data?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know the timing of your signals, but if you are really getting data when it is changing, I think you should read it after the second while loop or maybe read after a short delay. 

If you can change the 'hardware' part (I mean fpga design) besides Nios software, I suggest you add a bit of glue logic in order to latch your pio data when the strobe signal becomes active. In other words you  

make the same as those while loops but in a more efficient and stable way, at the expense of using a few more fpga resources.