Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12366 Discussions

NIOS II SPI multiple slave environment

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi all, 

I am trying to communicate to multiple SPI slaves (ADC and a DAC) using Altera DE2 board as SPI Master for 8 bit transfer and 2 slaves SS_n[0] and SS_n[1] in SOPC builder. In the NIOS II code, I assert the respective SS_n to low only when I intend to perform read/write operation on the respective slaves. This is very well visible from the attached pictures. In first one, SS_n[0] is low till the time I write 2 bytes, while in the second one, SS_n[1] is low till I write and read back 3 bytes. Both operations seem mutually exclusive to me, but I can not observe the correct data being read into ADC or written from DAC either. 

What could be the possible problem here, as I am able to successfully read from ADC when configured in single slave mode? 

Few more details: 

Altera DE2 

Quartus v9.1 

NIOS II SBT v9.1 

ADC: MCP3208 

DAC: MCP4922 

SCLK: 500 kHz 

GPIO[0-4]: MISO, MOSI,SCLK, SS_n[0], SS_n[1] 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12527&stc=1 http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12526&stc=1  

Please let me know if more details are required. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

There could be a number of reasons causing your problem. 

As you said, SCLK and SS signals seem to be correct, but you should capture MISO and MOSI as well: check if they comply with ADC and DAC specification. Also check if you are using correct settings for clock polarity and phase.