Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

NIOS II SPI number of slaves

BeB
Beginner

Hello,

I am using Quartus 19.1 and have a Qsys NIOS II processor with a 3 wire SPI core. I setup the number of slaves to be 20, which is consistent with the generated VHDL code, as the slave select signal SS_n is a standard logic vector (19 downto 0).

In the NIOS code, if I select a slave ID that only relies on the lowest 16 bits, everything works well. for example if slave select is (alt_u32) 0x1, SS_n[0] is low and the others are high. If slave select is (alt_u32) 0x8000, SS_n[15] is low, and the others are high. Great.

But, if slave select is (alt_u32) 0x10000, all the slave select lines SS_n are high, while I would expect SS_n[16] to be low.

I am a bit confused, as the data type for slave select in all the routines is alt_u32, and the signal width definitely implies that more than 16 bits can be used.

Thank you,

BeB

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EricMunYew_C_Intel

Can you try to generate Verilog.

BeB
Beginner

Hello,

I didn't try Verilog and made everything work with 16 bits instead.

BeB.