Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

NIOS II/f altera_avalon_i2c, possible BUG in HAL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I need a I2C master for my NIOS II/f. I thought using the I2C master which is shipped by Altera in Quartus Prime 17.0 should serve my needs. 

However I'm a bit worried about the software quality of the HAL and drivers. 

While testing I recognized that switching speed of the bus is not possible. The clock setting is fixed for 100kHz, setting other values results in wrong behaviour. 

altera_avalon_i2c.c:302 

ALT_AVALON_I2C_STATUS_CODE alt_avalon_i2c_master_config_speed_set( ... /* adjust h/l by predetermined amount */ scl_hcnt = scl_lcnt + ALT_AVALON_I2C_DIFF_LCNT_HCNT; // scl_lcnt+60, should be scl_lcnt+15 for 400kHz scl_lcnt = scl_lcnt - ALT_AVALON_I2C_DIFF_LCNT_HCNT; ...  

Therefore ALT_AVALON_I2C_DIFF_LCNT_HCNT should be adapted to the speed setting. 

Did I miss something? What is your experience with the NIOS II software drivers? 

In addition, I could not find any proper documentation with examples. Do I really have to browse the header files to get infos about the API? 

Cheers, Marc
0 Kudos
0 Replies