Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12604 Discussions

NIOS II memory utilization and nios2-elf-size

BeB
Beginner

Hello,

I am using a NIOS II design with a 65kbytes on-chip memory RAM. As I need to use rather large arrays in my code (32kbytes), I am starting to worry about memory utilization.

However, even when I double the size of my largest array, the nios2-elf-size does not report any size increase, and gives me this output:

$ nios2-elf-size nios_app.elf
text data bss dec hex filename
19024 832 1040 20896 51a0 nios_app.elf

Shouldn't the size of the data or bss segments increase with the size of my arrays?

There must be a point when the size of my RAM will become a limitation, but how do I check this?

Many thanks for any input you may have,

BeB

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BeB
Beginner

Nevermind... it was a silly question.

This large array is in the stack, and therefore not showing up in the nios2-elf-size nios_app.elf report.

BeB

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos