Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

NIOS II memory utilization and nios2-elf-size

BeB
Beginner

Hello,

I am using a NIOS II design with a 65kbytes on-chip memory RAM. As I need to use rather large arrays in my code (32kbytes), I am starting to worry about memory utilization.

However, even when I double the size of my largest array, the nios2-elf-size does not report any size increase, and gives me this output:

$ nios2-elf-size nios_app.elf
text data bss dec hex filename
19024 832 1040 20896 51a0 nios_app.elf

Shouldn't the size of the data or bss segments increase with the size of my arrays?

There must be a point when the size of my RAM will become a limitation, but how do I check this?

Many thanks for any input you may have,

BeB

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BeB
Beginner

Nevermind... it was a silly question.

This large array is in the stack, and therefore not showing up in the nios2-elf-size nios_app.elf report.

BeB

AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.